The spay surgery is the procedure for female cats and dogs where we remove specific parts of the reproductive system in order to prevent the fertile period known as the heat or estrus cycle. The advantages of having your female dog or cat spayed include:
- Prevents unwanted pregnancy
- Prevents undesirable effects associated with the heat cycle including loud and persistent vocalizing in cats and blood-tinged vaginal discharge and false pregnancy in dogs
- Prevents pyometra, a life-threatening infection of the uterus
- Significantly lowers the rest of mammary cancer in pets spayed prior to their first heat cycle
- Eliminates the risk of ovarian cancer
There are several techniques for performing the spay surgery. In addition to the traditional spay technique, we are now pleased to be able to offer laparoscopic (minimally invasive) spay surgery for dogs. By using the same techniques seen in human minimally invasive surgery, the laparoscopic spay allows you to provide your pet with the same care you would expect for yourself.